Monday, September 27, 2010

Yellow Cake with Chocolate Frosting

My parents came down last week to do a little sightseeing and to visit their favorite daughter and favorite son-in-law (their only daughter and son-in-law), so I wanted to make sure that I made some of my parents favorite treats.
It was my father’s birthday back in the beginning of September and I sent him some steaks but I also wanted to make him a cake. His favorite has always been yellow cake with chocolate frosting. I have NEVER made a cake other than one out of a box.

Looks good enough to be out of a box.
I found a yellow cake recipe on Martha Stewart.com that looked good so I decided this was the cake I was going to make. At first I was worried the batter might be over mixed. Over mixing is just a reoccurring fear I have. I hope once I become more confident in my baking the fear will subside. I am not there yet so I better keep practicing. I have to say the cake came out really well. It was a little dry because I made it on Sunday and we did not eat it until Tuesday, but what can you do.
I made my mom’s chocolate cream cheese frosting it was so good. It reminds me of my childhood when my mom would make cakes and cookies. I can’t wait to teach my children how to make the frosting.
Chocolate Frosting. I could eat it with a spoon.

The finished product. Look at those layers, they are perfect!!

2 comments:

  1. Do you think marscapone would work in the cake or is that too thick? I am trying to adapt it so that it is not dry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think marscapone would work well. You may need to thin it out with some water in order to fold it into the batter. Let me know how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete