Thursday, June 2, 2011

Ciabatta Bread

I was home a couple of Fridays ago and with the extra time I had not having to commute I made some Ciabatta bread. It was delish and was great with some herbs and oil. The only problem that I am having when I make my own bread is trying to get it to keep. This made two HUGE loaves and there was no way my husband and I to eat it all. I wanted him to bring some of them to the neighbors but they were away because of the holiday weekend. Does anyone have any ideas? I always try to make breadcrumbs, croutons etc. but you can never seem to use it all.
This was great and delish. Below is the recipe try it out and let me know.

Ingredients
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon white sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon active dry yeast
1 cup water
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 egg
3 tablespoons olive oil

Directions
1. Combine 1 cup flour, sugar, salt, and yeast. Mix well. Heat water and vegetable oil until warm, and add to yeast mixture along with the egg. Blend with an electric mixer at low speed until moistened. Beat for 2 additional minutes. Stir in 1 3/4 cup flour while beating, until dough pulls away from side of bowl.

2. Knead in 3/4 cup flour on floured surface. Cover dough with a bowl, and let sit for 5 minutes. Place dough on a greased baking sheet. Cover with greased plastic wrap and a cloth towel. Place in a warm place for 30 minutes.

3. Lightly flour or use parchment lined baking sheets. Divide into 2 pieces, and form each into a 3x14 inch oval. Place loaves on prepared sheets, dimple surface, and lightly flour. Cover, and let rise in a draft free place for approximately 45 minutes.

4. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).

5. Dimple dough for a second time, and then place loaves in the oven, positioned on the middle rack. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes. During baking, spritz loaves with water every 5 to 10 minutes for a crispier crust.



The dough before I put it in the oven.



The bread after I took it out and it was done. It was so crispy and good. Loved it.

1 comment:

  1. I'm totally making this tomorrow, Yum! thank for the recipe. Panzanella is a great way to use up old or new bread. I have tweaked a Barefoot Contessa recipe. Just cut up the bread into 1.5" inch cubes, cut up some raw and roasted veggies, toss with an herbed vinagrette. I like to throw in some boconccini too. So perfect for spring/summer. Yum!

    ReplyDelete