Monday, April 25, 2011

Grilled Cheese and Tomato Soup

It was a very cold and gross weekend. It just rained all day on Saturday. For me personality I love rainy days. It just makes me want to stay in bed all day and cuddle with my hubby and watch horrible scary movies. Saturday morning we went out and ran our errands so that we would have the whole afternoon to relax in bed.

Whenever it is rainy outside I always crave grilled cheese, I don’t like tomato soup but my husband does. So of course he requested tomato soup when I said I was going to make some grilled cheese. I thought maybe if I made it myself I might start liking it. I went on the internet and found a recipe on Martha Stewart.

Well….I was wrong, still not a fan of tomato soup but I think I found something the hubby really likes so that always makes me happy.

Below is the recipe for the soup. I also wanted to jazz up the grilled cheese a little so I cut it into fourths and put it on skewers. HAHA I don’t know how jazzy that is but I think that my husband approaches the effort. Or at least I hope that he does.

Ingredients
6 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 medium yellow onions, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
24 ounces canned whole plum tomatoes
3 cups homemade or low-sodium store-bought chicken stock
2 teaspoons sea salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Directions
Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium-low heat. Add onion and garlic; cook, stirring, until onions have softened, about 15 minutes.
Add tomatoes, chicken stock, salt, and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and cook until tomatoes, onions, and garlic are soft, 10 to 20 minutes.
Working in batches, transfer soup to the jar of a blender and puree until smooth. Return to saucepan and place over medium heat. Cook until soup is heated through. If soup seems too thick, stir in some extra stock to thin. Serve



The soup and the grilled cheese. Oooo it looks tasty.


Top view of the soup and sandwhich. Cant wait until the next day when it rains.



No comments:

Post a Comment