Monday, January 10, 2011

Recipe for Apple Turnovers

The other night my husband was craving something sweet. He did not want ice cream and I was way too tired to make cookies brownies. So I opened my freezer, to see if there was anything in there and, found some puff pastry. Puff pastry can be used to make many different dishes for both dessert and dinner that is why I love it so much. I scanned my kitchen and saw the bowl full of apples sitting on my table.

What is the first idea that popped into my head...apple turnovers. Now I don’t follow a recipe for this. I just kind of put stuff in a pan and hope that it comes out well. So you will notice that the following recipe has no measurements. I just kind of eyeball everything. I find it one of the best ways to cook.

I took two apples with the skin on (that is where all the vitamins are) and cut them up into bite size pieces. I than placed the apples into a pan with about two tablespoons of butter, 1/2 cup water, pinch of fresh grated cinnamon, dash of vanilla, and about 1/4 brown sugar.

Combine all the ingredients in one pan and cook until the apples are fork tender. Once the apples are tender mash them with a fork.. Once I have finished mashing the apples I place the mixture in the pull pastry and fold them. I then take my fork and press the pastry closed.

Next, I place the turnover in the over at 350 for approx 30 min. I also sprinkle a little refined sugar on the top to form a sweet crust. The apple turnovers go great with some vanilla ice cream, and then I whipped up some caramel sauce. It is so great.




The apples cooking in the pan.The puff pastry has warmed up and ready for the apple mixture.


The turnovers before placing them in the oven.


The puff pastry after it is taken out the oven. OOOOO THEY ARE SOOO GOOD!!

No comments:

Post a Comment