Tuesday, January 11, 2011

How to make caramel sauce

If you have been reading my blog then you know how many times I have tried to make caramel and failed. I don’t know if I have not been following the recipes correctly or not letting the sugar cook for long enough but it is very very frustrating. So I decided to find a couple of different recipes cross check them and design my own. All the recipes start out the same way with sugar, water and cream. I guess my problem was understanding how to make caramel. Not all the receipts explain that.



So I figured I would give a little crash course in how to make caramel. The most important thing is DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT stir the water and sugar when you are cooking it. This was my first mistake, I know some people are probably rolling their eyes right now saying of course you don’t stir it. Well, haha I did not know that. The recipe and direction follow. I made this recipe myself to use as caramel sauce so it is a thinner than if I were actually make caramels. If you want a thicker sauce cut down a little on the liquid or pour the caramel in a smaller pan to allow a cur of thicker pieces.





Recipe
1 ½ cup sugar
¼ cup water
¼ cup heavy cream
Dash of vanilla extract

Add the sugar and water in a pot and let it boil until the mixture is a dark, dark amber. DO NOT STIR just let the sugar dissolve in the water. Be careful not to let it burn. You will be able to smell the sugar if it begins to burn trust me (second mistake)! Once the sugar is deep amber add the cream. The caramel will start to bubble violently don’t be surprised and drop the pot like I did (third mistake), be careful and make sure that the pot does not bubble over. The caramel is very very hot will burn your hand.


The caramel sauce before we added the heavy cream This is what the caramel sauce looks like after you add the heavy cream. The caramel sauce after the heavy cream has been mixed in

The caramel sauce on top of the apple turnover and vanilla ice cream SOOOOO GOOD!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment