Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Italian Wedding Soup

Sorry like I said before in my last post I have been crazy busy at work, traveling to Hawaii and being sick with the flu. However , the good thing is I have a lot of great blogs that I can’t wait to post.

Last weekend was cold and rainy the perfect soup weather. My fall back soup is always French Onion soup, but I wanted to try something different. With the New Year I wanted to make sure that I made something that had lots of veggies but with tons of flavor.

I came across a recipe for Italian Wedding Soup that used turkey and chicken to make the meatballs which are baked and the soup is full of celery and carrots.

For the meatballs:
3/4 pound ground chicken
1/2 pound spicy turkey sausage, casings removed
2/3 cup Italian flavored bread crumbs
2 teaspoons minced garlic
3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan, plus extra for serving
3 tablespoons milk
1 extra-large egg, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

For the broth I used store bought chicken broth. I have not roasted a chicken in awhile so had to use store bought. Watch out on the salt you add the store bought chicken broth is loaded with sodium, so you want to make sure you don’t over salt. People on top chef go home all the time for over salting.

For the soup:
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup minced yellow onion
1 cup diced carrots (3 carrots)
3/4 cup diced celery (2 stalks)
10 cups homemade chicken stock
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 cup small pasta such as elbows
12 ounces baby spinach, washed

Make sure that to add the spinach in the soup at the end. This is the best soup and it is something that I can’t wait to make again. One mistake I did make was I add more pasta then the recipe called for and the next day the pasta absorbed all the broth so it was more like a stew. I won’t make that mistake again.





The mix for the meatballs. You want to make sure not to over mix.



The meatballs when they first come out of the oven



Carrots, celery and onions simmering in the pot.



The finished soup. Like I said next time I will not add so much pasta.

No comments:

Post a Comment