Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Sugar Coated Pecans

I enjoy all types of nuts but when I was pregnant, I cut them completely out of my diet. I had been reading some articles about how eating nuts while pregnant could cause your child to have a nut allergy. Well of course, I freaked out and cleared the entire house of all nut products. It wasn’t until my third trimester I felt comfortable enough to eat peanut butter toast.



Since I am no longer pregnant, I have been on the hunt to find as many recipes as I can that include nuts. One of my favorite things to eat are the roasted pecans that are covered in sugar that they sell in carts around the monuments here in DC.


The nuts actually help to satisfy my sweet craving so I am not eating cookies and cake. I also add a bit more salt then you see with the recipes on the internet this allows you to have the salty sweet taste. I can’t wait to try this recipe with some almonds. I used pecans this time around because I love the buttery taste of them and the sugar just made them that much better.


Recipe
1 egg white
1 tablespoon water
1 pound any variety of nut ( I used pecans)
1 cup white sugar
2 teaspoon salt (I like the salty sweet taste. You may want to add less if you want a sweeter taste)
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon


Preheat the oven to 250 degrees


With a whisk mix together egg white and water until combined. The mixture will have a froth to it. In a separate bowl, mix together the sugar, salt and cinnamon.


Add the nuts to the egg white mixture and stir to coat the nuts. Once the nuts are covered evenly with the egg white mixture add to the bowl with sugar. Mix until the nuts are coated.


Once nuts are covered with the sugar mixture spread nuts onto a parchment lined baking sheet. Bake the nuts at 250 for about an hour. Stir the nuts every 15 minutes, make sure you keep an eye on the nuts. If you have ever burned nuts you will know it is the most awful smell that takes forever to leave the house.


This picture shows the nuts after their egg bath and coated in the sugar mixture.



This is not the best picture but the nuts after ther are done roasting. I have already made two more batches!!!! Enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment